Low Sodium Meal Ideas / Shopping List
Researching low sodium foods for my lovely Grandma so figured I would share it with you all as well!
She has kidney stones and Edema in the ankles (swelling due to water) so Doctors request we are getting her on a low sodium diet to help and reduce water retention.
High Oxalate Foods To Avoid
- Almonds & Cashews
- Miso Soup
- Bakes potatoes with skin
- Cocoa Powder
- Bran cereals with shredded wheat cereals
- French fries
- Stevia sweeteners
- Sweet potatoes
Avoid drinking Colas
Shopping List / What to eat
Compare labels to find products with less sodium. Look for foods with 5% Daily Value (DV). A DV of 20% or more is high.
Plant based diet may be ideal
- fruit and their juice, can help reduce or block the formation of stones
Fruits & Vegetables
- any fresh fruits (apples, oranges, bananas)
- Any fresh vegetables (spinach, carrots, broccoli)
- Frozen vegetables without added butter or sauce
Breads, Cereals, and Other grains
- Whole grains (brown/wild rice, quinoa, barley)
- Whole wheat or whole grain pasta / couscous
- Oatmeal (no added sugars)
- Whole grain breads / bagels etc. *Check label
- Fresh or frozen fish
- Chicken or Turkey breast without skin
- unsalted / soaked nuts
- Dried beans and peas – like kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, lima beans, black-eyed peas, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), split peas, and lentils
- Canned beans labeled “no salt added” or “low sodium” (rinse canned beans to remove some of the sodium)
- fat free or low fat plain yogurt (best is kefir)
- *Best to avoid dairy
Dressings, Oils, and Condiments
- Unsalted margarine and spreads (soft, tub, or liquid) with no trans fats and less saturated fats
- Vegetable oils (canola, corn, olive, peanut, safflower, soybean, or sunflower)
- Low-sodium salad dressing – or oil and vinegar
- Low-sodium or "no salt added" ketchup
Try these seasonings instead of salt to flavor your food.
- Herbs, spices, or salt-free seasoning blends
- Chopped vegetables, like garlic, onions, and peppers
- Lemon and lime juice
- Oatmeal, fresh fruit (bananas, raspberries, blueberries), cinnamon for natural sweetener
- Eggs, Wholegrain low sodium (preferably gluten free) toast, coconut oil on toast instead of butter, onions, lettuce/spinach if wanting a breakfast sandwich
- Kefir, low sodium granola, fresh berries, hemp hearts
- Smoothie - banana, cucumber, ginger, strawberries/blueberries (any fruit!) avocado, spirulina powder (blue/green algae), hemp hearts or protein powder, cinnamon, flax seeds, chia seeds.
- Hummus & veggies (low sodium hummus if store bought, broccoli, carrots)
- Chia pudding (soaked chia seeds in water or coconut water, or a nut milk) flavoured with cinnamon, add fresh fruit (berries, mango, apple, banana), granola.
- Apple with lemon and cinnamon.
- Apple & Almond butter
- Guacamole, salsa (low sodium if store bought), low sodium tortilla chips
Lunch / Dinner
- Roasted Chick peas & cauliflower, choice of protein
- Fresh fish or chicken (no skin), broccoli/ grilled veggies, brown rice, sweet potato, lemon juice, pepper, garlic, turmeric for flavour.
- Quino salad, spinach, cucumber, beets, broccoli, hemp hearts, carrots, avocado, chick peas, pepper, lemon juice for dressing
- Roasted green beans
- Homemade chili/ bean soup
- Homemade Chipotle
- avocado oil, cooked onions, chopped veggies, cook root veggies/hardest ones first (beets, carrots, broccoli, cabbage) beans (black, pinto, chick peas), flavour with Siracha, lime zest & juice, pepper, turmeric. Add fresh avocado when ready to eat