My Go-To Snacks/ Meals
FOOD is SO important!!
How I maintain my energy, how I stay fit, and how I stay HAPPY is all related to what I eat!!
First things first. EAT!! Most of us who are trying to get leaner eat less, which yes sometimes you do need too, but if you want to get leaner through building muscle and burning fat, as opposed to just losing "weight" you should probably be eating more!!
It was never a goal of mine to "lose weight" to be honest I don't want to lose any weight. Instead I want to turn my fat into more muscle, -> lower my body fat percentage yes, but not lose weight.
So how I go about getting leaner, is actually eating MORE and lifting HEAVIER! Cardio is still important, but instead of running for 30-60 minutes, I will do intervals at the end of my weight training. Although I eat a lot it is so so important to eat clean! Its ok to treat yourself once in awhile, but for me a treat will be a bagel and butter.. or ice cream. So be aware of what you are putting into your body!
BREAKFAST! - EAT IT!!!
- Green or English Breakfast tea
- honey (1 tbsp = 64 cal)
- Expresso if I'm real tired
- almond milk (1/2 cup = 15 cal)
- Avocado Toast
- Rudis gluten free toast (1 slice = 130 cal)
- Avocado (1/2 = 161 cal)
- Cucumber (0.5 cup slices = 8 cal)
- Spinach (100g = 23 cal)
- Chia pudding - fruit, granola, chia, hemp, water, cardamon to flavour
- Oatmeal - cinnamon, fruit, chia, hemp, a little bit of maple syrup (I don't often eat oatmeal but its an option sometimes)
- Protein Smoothie (either for breakfast or as a post workout meal)- Vanilla Vega Protein, hemp, chia, flax, spinach, ginger, cucumber, frozen blueberries & banana (sometimes strawberries), cinnamon, spirulina, chlorella, turmeric, water.
- Banana (medium = 105 cal)
Snack / Usually Post Workout
- Previous smoothie ^
- Apple & 1 tablespoon Almond Butter
- Apple (small = 55 cal)
- Almond Butter (1tbsp = 101 cal)
- Full cucumber - if I'm lazy
- Elevate Me Protein Bar
- Chocolate Shakeology Protein Smoothie - 1 scoop, water, frozen blueberries - usually have this in the afternoon if I already had a Vega smoothie earlier
- Hummus & carrots/broccoli
- VegeGreens (Supplement) (1 Serving = 39 cal)
Lunch / Dinners - not too late!
- Veggie & Bean dish - literally any and every veggie, onions, carrots, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, celery, beets, lentils, chick peas, kidney beans/black beans, cooked in a big pot flavoured with siracha, cilantro, lime zest & juice, salt, pepper, turmeric, curry powder, add avocado and hemp when you want to eat! I will usually meal prep this, so it will last for days
- Roasted or Raw veggies
- Carrots (1/3c = 17 cal)
- Broccoli (1/3c = 10 cal)
- Chick peas (1/4c = 182 cal)
- Celery (1/2 stalk = 3cal)
- Beets (1/4c = 15 cal)
- Kidney Beans (1/3 cup = 74 cal)
- Brussel Sprouts (1/4c = 14cal)
- Soy Sauce (2tbsp = 16 cal)
- Salad - fruit, nuts, lettuce, balsamic
- Lime Juice (1/2 lime = 5cal)
- MCT Oil (1tbsp = 115 cal)
- Hemp Hearts (2tbsp = 113 cal)
- Broccoli Salad - nuts, onion, cabbage, broccoli, mayo, salt, pepper
To be honest I am not a huge cook, I am a very basic eater, I prepare food! but I rarely cook. I also believe that a raw food diet is great for you since it is full of all the nutrients. If you didn't pick it up by now, I am a vegetarian, I am basically plant based but I don't like to say I am since I'm not all the time.
I don't eat meat or fish, not eggs on their own, but I will eat them if they're in banana bread or something (one of my favourite treats :) As for dairy, I don't have too much but sometimes I will have milk in tea, and cheese, really only cheddar and goat cheese though. I am working towards a plant based diet. I do believe that we would be best off on a gluten free and plant based diet. But things take time and thats ok!! We are taking steps towards it and thats all that matters!!
I am also a huge chocoholic!! So I will eat chocolate, I try to eat vegan chocolate though. I also sometimes eat ice cream and cheese, not often but I do. So its ok it you treat yourself once in awhile!!
Good luck babes!! Don't be shy to ask any questions!! I will add more of my meals as they come to me! otherwise those are my go to.
Remember, HEALTH IS WEALTH